So, what's going to be the best way for you to learn Scrivener for Mac?
Are you new to Scrivener, you don’t know where to begin, you don’t want to waste your time, and you want to get it right from the start? Well learning Scrivener properly is probably the single most rewarding and effective way to go about it.
Start by learning all the features that you really need to manage a writing project and once you are confident, move on to all the extra features that make Scrivener such fun to work with.
Scrivener is not nearly as difficult or overwhelming as you may have been lead to believe. Just take it one step at a time. You can learn the basics right here on my blog for FREE in a couple of hours or you can enroll in a video course and learn even faster.
First of all, download some of my free cheat sheets to accelerate your learning
Scrivener 2 for Mac and Scrivener 3 for Mac
These highly detailed cheat sheets cover:
• The regions of the user interface and what they do
• What tools are available and what they do
• What compile setting to choose to get the correct format for your book (Scriv 2)
Join my email list and I will keep you posted on new trainings and time-sensitive deals
Learn Scrivener Basics for FREE
If you only want to learn the basics check out my Quick Start series of blog posts with plenty of images showing exactly where features are and which buttons to press. I have arranged them into a handy table of contents for you so that you can access them in the best order for learning.
Although I demonstrate using Scrivener 3 nearly everything applies to previous versions of Scrivener as well.
But the easiest way to learn Scrivener is to take a video course
You know that if you try to learn the ins and outs of Scrivener on your own it's going to take a while and you might miss out on fantastic features you didn't even know you needed till you see them in action. Once you know them you wonder how you ever managed without them.
The information and techniques I demonstrate in these videos can save you
hundreds of dollars worth of wasted time if you’re using Scrivener for the business of writing books, or a whole lot of banging your head against the wall if you’re using it primarily for pleasure.
I like to keep my courses cheap because I can, but don't let the prices fool you. My passion is teaching software so I put my best work in to these courses, taking great
care to make sure that each video is clear and concise.
I introduce you to one function at a time and show you exactly how to use it to the fullest, making it as easy as possible for you to learn Scrivener.
Scrivener 3 | Comprehensive Course for Mac
Master all the Major Features of Your Scrivener 3 Writing Software to write eBooks and Paperback books for only US$20
NOT Suitable for Versions of Scrivener before
Scrivener 2 | Comprehensive Course for Mac and Windows
Master all the Major Features of Your Scrivener 2 Writing Software to write eBooks and Paperback books for only US$20
Suitable for All Versions of Scrivener Prior to
Compiling for Export in Scrivener 2 (Mac and Windows)
Self-Publishing? Create Your own Professional Looking EPUB and MOBI Files Right Inside Your Scrivener Software for only US$10
Suitable for all versions of Scrivener prior to
What you will learn in my full Scrivener courses:
Don't become overwhelmed by all the features. Nobody ever needs to learn all of them. A novelist will need a completely different set of features than a playwright, or a lawyer using Scrivener only as a content management system.
If you enroll in a video course you can binge watch the course to see what features suit your kind of writing and then go back and learn only the features you want.
- Opening a New Project
- Menus + Customizing Your Toolbars
- An Overview of the User Interface and View Modes
- Setting Your Font Style
- Setting Your Language and Spelling
- Creating and Arranging Files and Folders
- The Default Folders in the Binder
- Changing Files, Folders, Icons and other visual clues
- How to Import Documents and Research Material Into Your Scrivener Project
- Doing a Basic Search
- Single Document and Scrivenings Mode
- Distraction Free Compose Mode
- How the Cork Board Works
- How the List Style Outliner View Works
- Splitting the Editor to View Two Documents at the Same Time
- Quick Reference Panels
- Page Layout View
- Comments & Footnotes
- Label & Status
- The Front and Back Matter Folders
- An Overview of the Compile Menu
- Setting up Your Own Section Types for a Blank Template
- Compiling a Manuscript, a Paperback or an Ebook
- Compiling Enumerated or Indented Outlines
- How to Preview Your eBook Before Publishing
- Setting up a Preset
- Customizing the Formatting for Your Preset
- Quick Demo - Creating a Preset With Multiple Folder Hirarchy
- Applying the Correct Spacers to Your Preset
- Customizing Your Page Size and Other Page Settings
- Arrange Your Documents by Label (Scriv 3)
- Import From MS Word Automatically Split into Sections
- Splitting A Document into Sections Manually
- Importing From a Mind Map Application
- Transferring Text Between Binder Documents (Scriv 3)
- Applying Formatting Styles to Your Documents
- Adding Links to Your Documents
- Setting Project Word Count Targets
- All the Search Tools
- Linguistic Focus (Scriv 3)
- Word Frequency Checker
- Character Name Generator
- Revision Mode
- The Simple Way I do Most of My Revisions (Scriv 2)
- Scriptwriting Mode (Scriv 3)
- Backing up and Synchronizing with Dropbox
- Working With Sound and Transcripts.
- Customizing The Appearance of the User Interface
- Customizing The Appearance of Your Cork Board
Here's what some of my current students have to say about my courses:
I have pulled reviews in from Udemy.com so that you can see that they are genuine.
(Udemy reviews are about as reliable as Amazon's)
Scrivener 3 Course, Udemy review
Even though I have been a long time Scrivener user, this course introduced me to many new (to me at least…) functions of the software. I will be able to use Scrivener much more effectively after going through this material.
The lessons were presented clearly. The topics covered were practical and dealt with thoroughly. I was especially impressed by the coverage of the Compile functions of Scrivener (which can be quite intimidating).
Scrivener 2 Course, Udemy review
The course gives a comprehensive overview of all the elements in Scrivener. I strongly recommend that a person watch all the videos - even the sections that you think you have already mastered or think are not relevant right now. There are so many nuggets packed in each video that it is useful to watch them all.